Low dental costs thanks to voluntary supplementary dental insurance.
Dental insurance in Switzerland
Dental insurance is a voluntary supplementary insurance that covers the costs of dental treatments, dental hygiene, check-ups and orthodontic corrections. Various health insurance funds in Switzerland offer supplementary dental insurance. Acceptance is however not guaranteed and becomes more and more difficult with increasing age.
In Switzerland, the costs for dental treatment are not covered by compulsory health insurance. Basic health insurance covers treatment costs only in the event of serious illnesses or accidents, unless covered by a different insurer. It is therefore advisable to take out dental insurance as early as possible.
Good to know
- All dental treatments can be covered by supplementary dental insurance.
- Dental insurance should be taken out as early as possible, since waiting periods of 6 to 12 months exist.
- Dental insurance for children should be taken out before the third birthday. At that age, no medical certificate is required for acceptance.
Insured dental treatments
Every insurer offers different compensation models. Deductible and cover amount can be chosen as needed. Benefits range from prophylactics to orthodontic treatments. The following benefits are covered by classic dental insurance:
- Dental check-ups (X-rays, pre- and post-check-ups)
- Dental cleaning (dental hygiene)
- Root canal treatments
- Fillings (caries)
- Dental prosthetics (bridges, dentures)
- Orthodontics (braces)
- Oral surgery (removal of wisdom teeth)
- Treatment of periodontal disease
Where necessary, supplementary dental insurance for children should also include insured benefits for orthodontic corrections, since the position of the teeth often changes significantly during growth.
Advantages of supplementary dental insurance
Depending on the type of treatment, dental costs can be high. Not only does dental insurance protect against unexpectedly high costs, but it also covers costs for preventive treatments, like annual dental cleaning.